Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Thistles




Thistles to me are a perfect Witchcraft ingredient. Their sharp, spiny leaves leave no doubt they are excellent in workings for banishing, protection, and wrathful undertakings.

Folks usually see them as weeds and yank 'em out of their pristine gardens and lawns. But I gently corral mine into areas where they can grow free because they have something important to offer, both for me as much as for the creatures who use our land for food. Thistles are part of the daisy family, and while many thistles are medicinal, I primarily use mine for spells and potions. I harvest and dry them from my backyard, and then add them to things like protection powders, black salt, hotfoot, and other things as I see fit. Thistles work as protectors, wards, repellents, banishers, and those painful, annoying prickly leaves make them perfect for hexing as well as breaking a hex.

I have a superstition that if I get poked or 'bit' by the thistle during harvesting the plant will not work for me. On the rare occasion that happens, I leave it and don't use it. When a plant gets too feisty, I understand that plant ain't for me, and I move on. No means no. I've never been one to override the spirit of the plant. Without respect for the plant or the plant's spirit, there can be no harmony or successful relationship. As a Witch, I'm always listening to what the plant is tellin' me and honoring that. Sometimes this plant here don't want to be bothered, while that one just like it over there is happy to work with me. I have found people who ignore this information and take what they want when they want without regard for the plant find themselves at the business end of riled up land spirits. Stay wise.

Thistle comes in several forms- Blessed or Holy Thistle, Milk Thistle, Bull Thistle, Scotch Thistle and many others. While all related they have slightly different botanical properties, however, since I use them for Witchcraft, and because their physical features are largely similar, and because I have found the essence or spirit of the plant to be quite similar across the spectrum, I consider them interchangeable, especially because medicinally most can also be used with similar results. I say this to convey that I don't really care which type grows in my yard, I use it the same way regardless. Ifin it matters, which I don't think it does, the ones I grow happen to be Bull Thistle, also known as Spear Thistle and Common Thistle. They are labeled an 'injurious weed' in the UK, and a noxious weed in Australia and several US states. Unlike the Blessed Thistle that grows a yellow flower, mine develop purple flowers in the Summer and like most flowering thistles, they are a rich food source for certain birds and butterflies.

Traditionally, thistle has been used for purification, to bring spiritual aid to the home, to protect from evil, and is associated with Mars, Aries and Fire. Growing them in your garden encourages protection, strength and healing. While they are no fun to step on when barefoot, try and let a couple grow out of the way in your garden or yard to enjoy their protective qualities and natural warding abilities. They are edible, too, though I haven't had a mind to want to eat them myself, but if you do, there's plenty of herbal and medicinal recipes online to explore. Use common sense and always know your plants well before consuming.